বাংলা
Monday 13th of July 2020 09:17 AM

Pret a Manger says second allergy death linked to sandwich

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, also died after suffering an allergic reaction to a Pret sandwich, in 2016

Probashbangla24 online Desk : A second customer is believed to have died from an allergic reaction to a product bought from Pret a Manger, the chain has said.
The person died in 2017 after eating a “super-veg rainbow flatbread” which was supposed to be dairy-free.
Sandwich chain Pret said it was mis-sold a guaranteed dairy-free yoghurt which contained dairy protein.
It comes after Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, died after eating a Pret a Manger baguette in 2016.
The second customer died on 27 December last year after buying the sandwich from a store in Stall Street, Bath.
Pret said the yoghurt in the product was supplied by Coyo – a coconut milk brand which is stocked in shops and supermarkets across the UK.
Can lessons be learned from Pret baguette death?
‘People can die’ – allergy sufferers speak out
The chain said it withdrew all affected products as soon as it was made aware of the incident by Bath and North East Somerset Council.
A spokesman said subsequent testing by Pret and two independent authorities found the Coyo dairy-free yoghurt contained traces of dairy protein.
“This is believed to have resulted in the tragic death of a customer from an allergic reaction in December 2017,” he said.
Pret then ended its relationship with Coyo and is in the process of taking legal action, he added.
Coyo recalled all of its dairy-free coconut yoghurts in February after they were found to contain dairy.
The vegan brand was investigated by the Food Standards Agency, along with Bexley council in London, where Coyo is based, before it issued an allergy alert.
Coyo previously said it was “devastated” to discover dairy in its yoghurts, “especially as being dairy-free sits at the heart of everything we do”.
In a statement issued in February, the company said it had carried out a “thorough review” of its ingredients and identified that the contaminated material was provided by an external third-party supplier, whose relationship had now been terminated.
The spokesman for Pret added: “Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of our customer in this terrible case and we will seek to assist them in any way we can.”
On Wednesday, Pret announced it would list all ingredients on its freshly-made products following the death of Miss Ednan-Laperouse.
The teenager, from Fulham, south-west London, suffered a fatal allergic reaction on a flight after eating a sandwich from a Pret store at Heathrow Airport in 2016. BBC

Share This Post

Post Comment

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com